My dad has been married four times now, and none of the previous ones (except for my mother but they divorced when I was two) have been joyous experiences. One in particular was quite horrible. She threatened to break my brother's jaw and strangle him with a coat hanger. She choked me in a fit of anger once and was just basically awful. So needless to say I would have been happy if my dad had remained single, as selfish as that is. But, such as it is, he started dating a woman last summer and 1 month later decided he wanted to marry her. I hadn't so much as shook her hand, so I wasn't thrilled with the idea of him spending his life with her. I eventually met her, and she seemed nice enough but I didn't want to trust too much. I do believe in giving fair shots, though, and she got hers. At first I think she was so worried about our perception of a step-mom that she tried too hard, but I still liked her. They've been married for about 6 months now and she has absolutely grown on me. She is very giving and caring and I am able to talk to her about things that are going on in my life. We aren't necessarily best friends, but I think that given some time we will grow closer. Even if that doesn't happen, it's nice to know my dad has someone who loves him and makes him happy; the fact that she cares about his kids is just a bonus. I'm an adult now, so I can handle if someone doesn't like me but it's nice to have another woman around to talk to.
Also, my mom and I talked about things through the difficult part of tonight through text. Have you ever noticed how freeing texting is? It may sound strange, but I find I am able to say more when I don't have someone sitting in front of me. I love being around people, don't get me wrong, but somehow I was able to say things to my mom tonight that I've never said. And she was more responsive than I've ever seen her. She usually doesn't say much but tonight she was there giving advice and being my voice of reason.
Somewhere in all this I'm learning that I am okay with myself, by myself. I still have a strong desire for companionship and family but I'm learning that sometimes you have to carve your own spot. It's beginning to take shape, after 23 years, and it feels good. Just hope the universe supports me.
No comments:
Post a Comment